Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Dense Effect


Sit down and relax. This may hurt a bit.


I’ve come to realize that not only is taking a hint an acquired skill, but it can sometimes take decades to develop, if ever.

Follow this:

1. My boss’s boss quits.
2. My boss quits.
3. My new boss, who also used to be under my boss’s boss, quits.
4. I’m out of bosses.


What would you do? Me, I stick around despite my only one-on-one with a supposed “report to", scheduled for an hour, lasting nearly two and consists of the induhvidual telling me what I was doing wrong and me politely explaining that, "no, this is what's gong on." And providing the reasons why.

It never occurred to me that actual communication was never the purpose of that meeting. This was to prove to be a pattern. The one-way exchange of words with long pauses of perceived silence that was actually filled with my input.


(I apologize. I cannot remember if I got a boss, or boss's boss first. Their depth of effectiveness overwhelms me.)

Ever have a conversation with your boss that starts off with, "It may not be fair but . . ."

Thus "The Dense Effect." This is a phenomenon where an individual believes that what they are told actually has some substance in reality, despite all evidence to the contrary. Further, that if that person acts upon this information, the outcome may actually resemble a valued contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment